All the things to do at Lac de Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle
Published on: 08/30/2023
Just 10 km from the Paradis Le Biper Gorri campsite, in the heart of the Basque Country, the Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle lake is a refreshing interlude, with its swimming beach and leisure centre offering a wide range of activities. We tell you all about it!
Enjoy the beach and swimming
Fed by four springs, this superb Pyrenean lake stretches over twelve hectares in the heart of nature, with views of the mountains. On the north shore of the lake, a small beach delights families and summer visitors alike. In summer, swimming is supervised by lifeguards and the water temperature is around 24°C. Its softness will make you forget the nearby ocean!
- The beach is supervised from July 1 to August 31, 11am to 6:30pm. The lake has handiplage approval (a tiralo is available at the aid station).
Test the largest inflatable water park in the Basque Country
Looking for some fun on the water? In the middle of the Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle lake , a large inflatable water park awaits young and old. The floating course includes an 11.5 m slide (the highest inflatable slide in the world!), trampolines, diving boards, XXL climbing structures and crawling tunnels.
- Aquazone 64: Lac de Saint-Pée, 64310 Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle, from 7/8 years (accompanied by an adult), July and August, price: €10 per hour and €18 for two hours, lifejacket supplied, tel. 06 21 63 03 20, www.aquazone64.com/
Practice a nautical activity
Attention water sports enthusiasts! In summer, the Lac Saint-Pée water sports center offers stand-up paddling, canoeing, giant paddling (8 people), pedal boating and more. You can rent a canoe or kayak for around 10 euros an hour, or a paddle or pedalo for 15 euros. Activities can be booked on site.
Fishing for brown trout and black bass
Various types of fishing are available, including spearfishing, casting and fly-fishing, and are authorized all year round with a fishing permit. Fish caught: rainbow trout, brown trout, black bass, zander, pike, carp… Be careful in summer, as there’s a lot of boating activity on the lake: go early in the morning for quiet fishing.
- Practical info: day fishing pass: €13, 7-day pass: €33, water depth: between 5 and 8 m.
Around the lake
A 3 km walk around the Lac de Saint-Pée. The starting point is the parking lot at the end of the lake, on the Rue du Parlement de Navarre. For those with more stamina, there’s a longer itinerary that allows you to explore the area around the lake, with beautiful views of La Rhune. Distance: 10 km, duration: 3h30, see route.
If you love nature and thrills, you’re in for a treat. A giant zip-line flies over Lac de Saint-Pée. It measures 600 metres and is the longest in the south-west! The start is on the hill 50 m upstream from the lake. The finish is on the other bank, a few metres above the water. Briefing, equipment, safety instructions, and off you go! The acceleration is progressive and the sensations are close to those of a paraglider flight.
And don’t miss the flying tree course, with 20 zip lines of different lengths for maximum fun and thrills!
- Tyrolienne Park: promenade Herri Urrats, 64310 Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle, from age 7 (minimum 30 kg), cost: €16, tel. 06 88 56 47 63, more info: www.evolution2paysbasque.com
Practical information :
- Access: Lac de Saint-Pée-Sur-Nivelle, RD 918, 64310 Saint-Pée-Sur-Nivelle
- Dogs are not allowed on the beach. They are allowed around the lake on a leash.
- Parking lot at the entrance to the lake (paying in summer, free the rest of the year), motorhome park nearby (60 pitches).
- On site: toilets, showers, restaurants, snack bars, shaded picnic areas.
- Campsite: Saint Pée lake is just 10 km from our 4-star Le Biper Gorri campsite (Espelette). You can get there in less than 15 minutes by car via the D918.